Learn, plan and gather support to cope with a loved one’s illness.
Support and Companionship on the Journey of Aging and Serious Illness
Care Partners of Cook County provides vital support and services to help clients and their families address the transitions of aging, serious illness and end of life with safety, dignity, and confidence.
Fall Newsletter is now Available
Completing Your Health Care Directive, Wednesday, January 16, at 6 pm, Grand Marais Public LIbrary.
Care Partners is teaming up with the Grand Marais Public Library, Winter Wednesdays to offer a program Health Care Directives. Everyone should have a current Health Care Directive. Here's a chance to demystify it, get your questions answered and get it done! Read through the forms ahead of time. You can either pick one up at the library or use the links below. Start thinking about your preferences, especially who you might pick as a Health Care Agent. On the 16th trained facilitatrs will discuss the important points and answer general questions. Then, stay if you wish to complete your form, get specific questions answered, have it signed, make copies and you are done! Follow-up appointments are also available. Instructors are Marnie Hovland, Care Partners RN Care Coordinator, and Hilja Iverson, Social Worker at North Shore Health.
Use these links to find a Health Care Directive Form:
For comprehensive coverage of the issues involved use the original Honoring Choices MN Health Care Directive
For a shorter form that covers your main health care goals use the 4 page Honoring Choices MN Health Care Directive
For more information, directions and forms with large print or other languages visit the Honoring Choices website
- Light Up a Life Tree Lighting Ceremony, The 10th Annual “Light up a Life” offered community members the opportunity to celebrate the life of a loved one during the holiday season. Many thanks to the Johnson Heritage Post, Barb Bottger for leading a short ceremony of reflection and connection, Amy Schmidt and friends for providing music and Care Partners board members and Java Moose for providing refreshements. The event is sponsored by Care Partners to support end of life services in Cook County.
- Senior Rides and Chore Volunteer Trainings
Care Partners holds ongoing volunteer trainings for those interested in our Senior Chore and Senior Rides Programs. Volunteer Senior Rides Drivers provide rides to those 60 and over for medical, and wellness activities to Duluth or in Cook County. Volunteers are reimbursed for mileage. Call 387-3788 for more information.
- Care Partners Ice Cream Social a Success! Over a 120 community supporters, volunteers and visitors turned out for Care Partners of Cook County’s 3rd Annual Ice Cream Social at Sydney’s Frozen Custard. They enjoyed sundaes, chair massages from Lutzen Reflections and a silent auction before the rain herded us inside for the quilt raffle draw. Marlene Grindland of Sartell, Minnesota won the beautiful quilt made by Carol Harris. All together over $5000 was raised to support programs for those on the journey of aging, serious illness and end-of-life.
Many thanks to all who came out to support Care Partners and to the event sponsors: Sydney's Frozen Custard, Lutzen Reflections Massage Studios, Red Pine Realty, Sivertson Gallery, Blue Water Cafe, Mike’s Holiday Station, Grand Marais State Bank, Thrivent, Ryden’s Border Store. Thank you as well to our Silent Auction donors: Mary Ofjord, Attorney Ruthanne Hedstrom Vos, Harbor House Grille, Gunflint Mercantile Mary Bebie, North Shore Winery Jayne Johnson, Studio 61 Hair Design, Drury Lane Books, Birch Bark Gallery, The Blue Moose, and WTIP.
For more information contact Care Partners Director, Kay Grindland at 387-3788 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Care Partners Quilt Raffle: Marlene Grindland of Sartell, Minnesota won the beautiful quilt made by Carol Harris.
- Senior Chore Program | Assistance for those 60 years old and over with short-term tasks that can be burdensome, stressful or unsafe. Examples include: Replacing Light Bulbs & Batteries, Yard Work, Minor Carpentry, Moving, Organizing/Cleaning
Join Us - Caregivers Coffee
Caregiver Coffee groups meet monthly to share resources and discuss topics related to caregiving. The Grand Marais group will not be meeting until Fall 2018. The Tofte group meets at Birch Grove on the 2nd Friday of the month. Contact us at 218-387-3788 for more information.
Dementia Friendly Cook County
Those with dementia and their caregivers are a vital part of our community. Care Partners of Cook County is active in promoting ways to help them feel welcome, comfortable and successful when encountering Cook County services, agencies, and businesses. Opportunities include classes in becoming a Dementia Friend, study programs for churches and schools, and trainings for retail businesses and agency staff.
Care Partners' staff and volunteers respect your privacy and will not share any information about you without your consent.