Learn, plan and gather support to cope with a loved one’s illness.
Support and Companionship on the Journey of Aging and Serious Illness
- Emotional Wellness for Caregivers, Tuesday, October 17 from 4-6 pm Sawtooth Mtn Clinic classroom. How do we support ourselves and other caregivers of those with dementia? Heidi Haley-Franklin of the Alzheimer’s Association (Twin Cities) will discuss coping strategies and available resources to increase the ability to care for individuals with dementia. She will also discuss common emotional reactions after receiving a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s and the losses that trigger them.
- Best Practices for Optimizing Dementia Care: A Training for Clinical Nurses & Care Coordinators, October 18, 8-9:30 am, Sawtooth Mtn Clinic classroom. Heidi Haley-Franklin of the Alzheimer’s Association (Twin Cities) will discuss the differences between “normal aging” and Alzheimer’s, why early detection, diagnosis, and care coordination is critical, how to best communicate with patients, and relevant community resources.
- A Dementia Friends Information Session will be held November 1 from 12:-1 pm following Senior Lunch at Birch Grove Community Center in Tofte. You’ll learn what dementia is, what it’s like to live with the disease, and some tips for communicating with people who have dementia. Everyone who attends is asked to turn their new understanding of dementia into a practical action that can help someone living in your community. The action can be as big or as small as you choose—every action counts! Visit the Act on Alzheimer's web site for more information.
- Companion Volunteer Training | Share the gift of your presence with those on the journey of aging or serious illness. Next training will be held in January/February 2018. Call for more information.
- The 2nd annual Care Partners Ice Cream Social on Sunday, August 27th at Sydney’s Frozen Custard raised over $5,000! Congratulations to Susan Gardner, winner of the quilt raffle. Many thanks to our event sponsors: Sydney's Frozen Custard, Lutzen Reflections Massage Studios, Red Pine Realty, Joynes Ben Franklin, Ryden's Boarder Store, Northern Wilds Media, Sawbill Canoe Outfitters, Sivertson Gallery and Sweetgrass Cove. Thank you as well to our Silent Auction donors: Attorney Ruthanne Hedstrom Vos, Crooked Spoon, Great Gifts, Harbor House Grille, Kathy Reeves, Mary Bebie, Stiudio 61 Hair Design, The Blue Moose, Wellspring Therapy and WTIP.
Join Us - Caregivers Coffee
Caregiver Coffee groups meet monthly to share resources and discuss topics related to caregiving. The Grand Marais group meets the 3rd Friday of the month at the Cook County Whole Foods Coop. The Tofte group meets at Birch Grove on the 2nd Friday of the month. Contact us at 218-387-3788 for more information.
New Site, Same Vital Services
Welcome to the new website of Care Partners of Cook County! In 2015, Care Partners was incorporated as a nonprofit, growing from from a community effort to provide hospice-like services through programming at the North Shore Health Care Foundation. Care Partners looks forward to serving its clients, their families, and volunteers with greater purpose than ever.
Care Partners' staff and volunteers respect your privacy and will not share any information about you without your consent.