A HUGE thank you to everyone who helped to make our first annual Team Grand Marais Community Walk to End Alzheimer’s such an incredible success!!! It was a (purple) rain-y day to be sure, but spirits were high and MANY people braved the wet to walk in memory or honor of loved ones who have lived with dementia; to raise awareness about the disease and the people in our community who are impacted by it; to encourage those who have cared (or are currently caring) for loved ones with dementia; or to share their hope for a dementia-free world. Many also walked to financially support the Alzheimer’s Association and all their good work in dementia research, education, and support.
Big thanks to:
- The Walk planning team
- Everyone who walked
- Walk-day volunteers
- All those who contributed to the Alzheimer’s Association through Team Grand Marias (thanks to you, we EXCEEDED our goal of $2,000!!!!!)
- Area businesses who helped us “Paint the Town Purple” including Security State Bank, Drury Lane Books, The Lunch Box, Sivertson Gallery, and World’s Best Donuts
- The Hub, for hosting the event
- Tami and Jenna from the Alzheimer’s Association for all their help with planning and organizing. A special thanks to Jenna (and her daughter!) for helping on Walk Day and to Jenna for leading our pre-Walk ceremony
- Jocelyn and Willow for their beautiful artwork, and to Jocelyn for raising a white flower – representing the first survivor of Alzheimer’s – and leading the way on our Walk
- Haley and Boreal Community Media for the wonderful photos and great write-up...click here to see the pics and the article!
- Claire Smith from Edward Jones and the Arrowhead Area Agency on Aging for providing wonderful thank-you gifts for our walkers